These jobs work in this capacity for every meet and are therefore exempt from Clerk of the Course.
- Meet Director: Each team has a Director (usually president or league rep) at meet responsible for making sure the meet runs smoothly and timely. Handle any team/swimmer problems, disputes, or DQ challenges. Signs-off on final score of meet.
- Computer Records & Scoring: Entries Responsible for creating entries for meets and taking care of team files (roster, swim times, records, etc). At meet, print heat sheets, lane sheets, and labels. Enter times, DQs, and scores meet. Organizes all sheets to give to Runners. Due to the time commitment at Home Meets, this position is exempt from working Away meets.
- Hospitality: At home meets pass out refreshments to volunteers every 30 minutes. Check bathrooms, empty trash as needed. Due to the time commitment at Home Meets, this position is exempt from working Away meets.
- Ribbons (Head): Takes inventory at start of season. Order ribbons at start of season for dual meets hosted by team. Sets up ribbons at home meets, helps last shift at ribbons table and instructs volunteers working at table. Pack up ribbons at end of meet.
- Set up & Cleanup Crew: Set up on Friday night before a home meet – tables, blocks, chairs, flags, and ropes. After meet put everything away, empty trash, and sweep. Due to the time commitment at Home Meets, this position is exempt from working Away meets.
- Snack Bar Lead: In charge of snack bars at home meets. Determine food and drinks to purchase, organize workers, set up and clean up. Due to the time commitment at Home Meets, this position is exempt from working Away meets.
- Stroke and Turn Judge: Judges watch swimmers during meets to determine if they will receive a DQ slip for stroke infractions. They must attend clinic for training and watch instructional video. There are 2 judges from each team on deck at meets. New judges shadow more experience judges.
- Starter/Announcer: The person who runs starter system at meets. Instructs swimmers to get on blocks and take mark. Watch swimmers for false starts. Controls the pace of meet. Announces which events should report to clerk. Due to the time commitment at Home Meets, this position is exempt from working Away meets.
- Snack Bar Setup: Set up snack bar on Friday night. Cover tables, prep coffee, hot water, tables, fill drink bins.
- Snack Bar Shoppers: Two people who shop for all the groceries needed for snack shack before each home meet. Submit receipts for reimbursement.
- Swimmer Check In: At meets before warm-ups, check in swimmers and write event numbers on their hand. With coaches, create a scratch list of swimmers that do not show up and make relays changes. Give scratch list and relay changes to computer table at beginning of meet and before start of breaststroke.
- Volunteer Coordinator: At meets, check in volunteers and make sure all positions are filled at the start of each shift and during meet. Organize and assign Oaktree volunteers for time trials, dual meets and champs. Keep track that all families volunteer in some capacity to support the swim team.
Team Meet Jobs
1st shift: Medley Relay through IM. 2nd Shift: Breaststroke to end of Free Relay.
- Event Board: Home Meets Only. Place event number and heat being swum on easel board by starter.
- Clerk of the Course: Using heat sheets, put swimmers in correct event, heat and lane order in chairs before sending off to blocks. Update clerk board showing which events should report to clerk.
- Recorder: Away Meets Only. Receive Lane sheet from runner. Check that swimmer about to swim is in correct lane. Write down times from the timers on lane sheet. Give completed lane sheets to Runner. Place palm of hand against wall for swimmers 6 & under and 7/8 swimmers at end of backstroke to protect their head.
- Ribbons: Sit at table placing labels on appropriate ribbons at meets and file in team box.
- Runner: Report to computer table 10 minutes before start of meet. Pickup and/or deliver heat sheets, lane sheets, labels, and DQ slips at meets. Post results.
- Snack Bar Cashier: Home Meets only. Takes order, collects cash, gives change. First shift begins at 7:30am and 2nd shift at 10:30am. This role is exempt from Clerk of the Course.
- Snack Bar Runner: Home Meets only. When someone orders, the runner gathers that food for the order (like pouring hot water in the cup of noodle) while the cashier handles the $$ of the transaction. First shift begins at 7:30am and 2nd shift at 10:30am. This role is exempt from Clerk of the Course.
- Timer (Head): At home Meets, responsible for organizing and instructing timers and recorders at the start of each shift. During meet, time events as backup for timers in lanes who may miss start watch.
- Timer: Two timers per lane at home meet (one timer per lane at away meet). Use stop watches to time swimmers in events.
- Time Sorter: At computer table, circles middle times on lane sheets to determine the time for swimmer in each event. Match DQ slip to swimmer and indicate on lane sheet if swimmer DQ’d.