We are accepting new swimmers for the 2019 swim season! Follow the instructions below to submit your interest form. We look forward to an exciting summer.
New Swimmer Information
The Oaktree Sharks swim team has a maximum capacity of 150 swimmers. Swimmers on the team must live in our surrounding neighborhood and attend one of the following schools: Los Alamitos Elementary, Castillero Middle School, Pioneer High School and Holy Spirit School.
Our registration process is as follows:
1. Indicate your interest in the team by filling out this form.
2. In March we will contact you with the details of the try out.
3. Our try outs usually happen toward the end of April.
4. After the try outs you will be notified as to your acceptance or denial.
The cost is $160 per swimmer plus a $100 fee per family for non-homeowners.
New swimmers are also highly encouraged to purchase an Oaktree Shark swim suit. The suits range from $50-$65. Team caps are $10.
NEW! Swim team members who are not home owners can purchase pool usage. Please refer to this document for additional information:
What do swimmers receive? What else will swimmers need?
- Each swimmer will receive a team photo, individual photo and participant trophy.
- Swimmers are highly encouraged to purchase the team suit. A new suit design is selected every two or three years. High school swim team suits may not be worn at dual meets or at Champs. Old team suits or solid royal blue, one-piece suit is also acceptable. Practices suits can be any color and style that is suitable for competitive swimming (no bikinis).
- Swimmers should purchase goggles to protect their eyes from chlorine and sun. Practice caps can be any design or color. Team cap is available for purchase with suits. Caps last longer if rinsed, dried and dusted with baby powder after practices and meets. Team suits can be ordered through Oaktree.
Swim Team Tryouts
- All swimmers must be toilet trained and not in diapers, swim diapers or plastic pants.
- All swimmers must be “water safe.” Water safe is defined as if the child is suddenly thrown into the deep end of the pool without warning, he/she can swim to the side and get him/herself out.
- Swimmers 12 & up must be able to swim two laps of pool in freestyle and one other stroke.
- Swimmers 9/10 must be able to swim one lap of pool in freestyle and one other stroke.
- Swimmers 7/8 must be able to swim one lap of pool in any stroke.
- Swimmers 6 & under must be able to swim any stroke with forward motion. The child must be able to swim 25 yards of any stroke, after ten (10) days of swim practice.
- Swimmers must be able to swim one lap of pool in under 90 seconds by Time Trials.
- Each swimmer must have the endurance to participate for the entire time of instruction.
- Swimmers that do not know all four competitive swim strokes (Freestyle, Backstroke, Breaststroke, and Butterfly) are expected to take swim lessons.
New Family Buddies
- Each new family will be paired with a veteran family
- Veteran family will help guide them in the swim processes
- Veteran family will be their buddy for team events